Monday, March 05, 2007

Plowing Ground

The weekend is over and we’re facing a full week of school and other activities with the girls. It reminds me of the times long ago when I’d pull up to a field with a “G” Minneapolis Moline and a 3 bottom plow (I know the “G” would pull 4-16’s but Dad always thought it did better on our hardpan with a three-bottom), looking at this expanse of unplowed ground ½ mile square, making the decision to start making rounds, plowing up all of four feet of ground each round with the three-sixteen inch moldboards.
I know with the grace of the Almighty that we’ll do fine this week. It just seems a little daunting on Monday morning at 6am before I’ve had a chance to down any appreciable amount of coffee. Besides, I find that I have some kind of program on my computer that pops up ads for various videos now. I wonder where THAT came from. I’m running a spy program as I type this in the hopes that it will find whatever it is and eliminate it. The spy program says now, before it is finished, that it has found 23 “critical objects”. Let’s hope one of them is this stupid pop-up.
The girls are beginning to come out of their rooms and have some breakfast. Pat has come out of our area and is interacting with them as they come out. I have their morning medications ready and have started distributing them. Doors are closing, water is running, and one girl has already showed me what she’s wearing to school today, saying that she’s debating on what shoes to wear with the faded jeans, tee-shirt and sweat shirt over that. I dunno. I don’t debate what shoes I’m going to wear. I only have one pair that I regularly wear on week days. And the Sunday dress-up debate for me is always “black or brown” and is dictated by what socks I happen to pull out of the drawer.
Maybe some things are more important to some people than to others. In the great scheme of things, I’m not sure how important the shoe debate is. But perhaps that’s Jaqlyn’s way of putting the plow into the ground and starting that first four-foot round. In that case, the debate is vital.

No comments: