Tuesday, July 06, 2010

That "gutty" Feeling

I was out back tonight as the darkness fell. It has been normal for me to have a kind of "pit in the gut" feeling at various times during the day in the past year or so. I had it again as I sat out back and just thought. Why I get these feelings, I don't know. I suspect, however, that it has something to do with the unknown future, and that a big chunk of that is employment.
To have a job in this economy that pays well is a true blessing. But that blessing can be very fleeting and fickle, and the job can be gone in a matter of days or hours. Along with losing the job comes not only losing insurance and a steady income, but also a certain dignity and identity.
I've been there and done that. So has my spouse. In fact, in the last ten years or so, it seems we have changed jobs every two or three years or so. We certainly have never been the kind who get a job at age 20 and stay with the same job and same company for 45 years until retirement. Our jobs also have never been the kind that have contractural security of any kind.
But back to the gutty feeling. As I thought more about it, I thought about what would dispel the feeling. The only thing I could think of is the unchanging nature of the God that I know. Somehow, that gave me a respite from the uncertainty of the unknown. Somehow, that provided me with a security that could not be found anywhere else.
I am not always able to dispel the gutty feeling just by thinking about God. But most of the time, He provides me with a peace that enables me to take the next breath, take the next step, go to work the next day.
One day, I won't have to have that gutty feeling anymore. I'll have no need to maintain health insurance, money in the bank, or a good credit rating. I'll not have to worry about losing my job, house, dignity, or health. All will be taken care of. All will be well. And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments: