Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Life

A couple of weeks ago, I asked if I could teach the Wednesday evening adult class at church in a three-week mini class. We would watch the one-man play “St John in Exile”, presented by Dean Jones (made several Disney movies and other films). In the play, Jones is John the Apostle, living in exile on Patmos Island Penal Colony. He recounts his recollections of his time with Jesus of Nazareth in a way that is amusing at times, yet very powerful. The class coordinator, not being used to people volunteering to teach, decided to schedule me quickly before I changed my mind. So I will be teaching for the next three Wednesday evenings.
In preparation for the class, I have watched the play yet one more time. First having seen it about 20 years ago, I have watched it probably 25 times or so. Each time I see or hear something in the play that I’ve not seen before, and the play remains fresh to me even though I know much of the dialog by now. There’s just something about seeing Mr. Jones as John the Apostle that bring s a realism and even life to the words of his gospel.
Actually, that’s one of the things I think John is trying to convey in his writing. He talks several times about Jesus and the Life that is in him. He quotes Jesus saying, “I am the resurrection and the life.” He talks in the play of the life that was in Jesus following his own resurrection. He talks of the eternal life that is promised in John 3:16. There are other places as well, but you get the picture.
I’ve often wondered just what this “life” was, how it manifests, and what it looks like. Oh, I know that there are myriads of living creatures on this planet (and perhaps other planets somewhere). And I know the difference between a living person and a dead person. I know all of that. But there’s something different about the life that Jesus talks about, I think.
Jesus seems to be talking about a life that is special…that is unique…that is a gift only God provides. It transcends mortal and physical life, although it certainly includes it. It is a life that is at once eternal, yet in the here and now for those who know God and know His only Begotten Son.
I don’t understand it all, but each time I hear the play by Mr. Jones, I have a little better appreciation for the Eternal Son and what he has done (and continues to do) for us all. Truly, if Jesus is not a liar or a crazy man, he is God Himself and embodies that Life which is made available to all who will accept the gift.

No comments: