Thursday, August 09, 2012

With Any Luck...


Beginning last Sunday evening, I attended a conference on leadership here in Wichita.  It lasted until Wednesday noon.  All meals, motel room charges, and even parking fees were provided by those hosting the conference…the Kansas Leadership Institute funded by a grant from the Kansas Health Foundation.  The conference was held at the Hyatt downtown.  And even though they said they got a good deal from the Hyatt, you know they spent a ton of money on rooms, food, and other things for the conference.
They served breakfast every day at 7:30am.  Then they had not only coffee and tea, but fancy home-brewed flavored waters and juices.  About 10am they wheeled in a snack cart filled with breads, cheeses, nuts, and other things most of which I had no clue what they were.
Lunch was at the Hyatt and consisted of two meats, one of which was a fish, along with all the fixings.  Mid afternoon, another snack cart was wheeled in with all manner of nuts fruits, candies, crackers, and other things again most of which I had no idea what were.  There must have been at least 30 selections on each of the snack carts…not the three or four one is used to in venues such as this.
The evening meal Sunday was on them.  Monday it was on us.  Tuesday’s evening dinner was at the Museum of World Treasures, and was catered in.  They had a band along with a speaker; and we were encouraged to wander the closed museum.
Wednesday morning breakfast was simpler…consisting of quiche and some breads, juices, etc.  Wednesday noon we left the conference with a box lunch.
I say all of that to say this:  although I immensely enjoyed the conference and the perks (mostly food perks) that came with it, when Wednesday evening came after church and we were finding something to eat, I immediately drove to an all night pancake restaurant and ordered a burger and fries.  That’s it.  A burger and fries.  And it was about the best-tasting burger I’d had in years.
I’m sorry. I’m just not a foo foo guy.  I love trying new foods, cheeses, breads, etc.  But three days of constant bombardment with things I can’t pronounce even if I DID know what they were was enough.  Just slice me some fresh tomatoes, set out the cantaloupe, heat up some canned peas, fry a minute steak, and I’m set for the evening.
And by the way, it’s been at least 20 years since I’ve had quiche.  With any luck, it’ll be 20 more.

No comments: