Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Well, huh.



I was putting away laundry a few days ago when I rather innocently took a brief look at the tag in the waistband of a pair of briefs…you know, underwear.  I didn’t think much about it because a guy’s gotta look somewhere.  But then after a few seconds, it hit me.  There’s a URL on the tag in the waistband of my briefs.  I took another look and sure enough.  www.hanes.com/briefs was in sorta fine print at the bottom of the tag.
I wondered, “Why would anyone want to look at a webpage for men’s underwear?”  And then I thought, “Isn’t anything sacred anymore?  Does everything have to have a URL plastered on it?”  I went ahead and put away the “offensive” briefs along with socks and other assorted men’s items, and went about my business.
But the URL for underwear stayed in my head, and I finally today succumbed to the temptation.  I typed the URL into FireFox and lo and behold, there it was!  Of course, the first page didn’t really have much except a little introductory material and a couple of boxes where you could click if you were interested in boys or men.  I presume they meant boy’s underwear or men’s underwear instead of something more dark and sinister, and clicked on men.  And there they were!
There was the classic underwear.  There were tagless briefs.  There were “comfort blend” briefs.  There were briefs with the comfort flex waistband.  And briefs with the comfort soft waistband.  There were dyed briefs.  There were mid-rise briefs, sport briefs, and even boxer briefs (I have a nephew that may like those…).  Oh, and if you clicked on one of the pictures, you could get a larger view, as if that somehow would determine what you ordered.
And you could order any or all of these right on the web site.  No need to go to Wal Mart, Dillards, or some real store.  Just order in the comfort of your home and have ‘em delivered.  Of course, until they ARE delivered, you have to wear your old, worn out Fruit-Of-The-Looms and can’t take advantage of the latest tagless black sports brief with the comfort flex waistband and comfort blend material.  But they are certainly worth the wait, aren’t they?
Now, don’t get me wrong.  I order stuff on line.  Maybe not underwear, but I have accounts with several on-line outfits, and order things there somewhat readily.  However, I usually order only the stuff I can’t get here.  I’ve not normally found that on line ordering is cheaper, but I’ve never been unsatisfied with something I’ve ordered, either.
So, I guess this is fair notice to me that URL’s can and will appear anywhere, anytime.  Just like the little boxes called QR codes that whisk one to a web site and that show up anywhere, URL’s can and do appear in places not often thought of as places to look for them.  Well, huh.

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

Don't quote me, but I believe your nephew has ordered undies via internet at times past.