Tuesday, November 27, 2012

You Can Find Anything



In the “You can find anything on the Internet” department, this may not be much to you, but I was rather impressed.  Maybe I’m easily impressed, but remember I grew up in an era when phone numbers were four digits long and you had to call the local (and I mean right in the town you were living in) operator to make a long distance call.  And a trip to Wichita, which was only 45 miles away, was maybe a once-a-year thing, and you checked the oil, tires, and radiator hoses in the car before you took off.  If you couldn’t find what you wanted at the local store, you just didn’t buy it.  Or you maybe ordered it out of the Sears, J C Penney, or Montgomery Ward (Monkey Ward) catalogs if they weren’t being used for toilet paper in the outhouse (We DID have a sewer connection, so our catalogs were used for kids to sit on at the table so they could reach things.).
Anyway, the wife and I have had our Buick buggy for about 10 years.  It came with a couple of key fobs, which wore to the point that the hole in them that fit them on our key rings wore through and we could no longer put them on a key ring.  The fobs worked; we just couldn’t put ‘em on our key rings.  So we iced them and used keys.  By the way, the word “fob” has an interesting and varied definition and past.  Google it sometime by putting “define fob” in the search criterion box.
One day, the wife asks if I can somehow fix the hole, maybe by using epoxy or something.  I check it out and decide I can’t do anything with it.  Then I get the brilliant idea to check the Internet to see if someone else had this same problem and what they may have done to fix it, besides going to a dealer and getting a new fob for two and a half prices.
Lo and behold, when I searched, I found a place that sold not only OEM fobs, but also sold OEM fob covers that perfectly matched, down to the name of the manufacturer and part number, our old fobs.  The covers cost about four dollars plus shipping.  I paid I think about twelve dollars all together for two fobs and shipping.
We got them yesterday, and I put the old electronics into the new fob covers last night.  I am now the proud carrier of a fob on my car key ring again!  I am truly impressed with the Internet and the fact that one may indeed purchase almost anything.  I think next I’ll buy some genuine Dead Sea salt.  I hear it’s good for what ails me…

No comments: