Monday, December 10, 2012

Inspired



Yesterday, I participated in the performance of “The Messiah” by the Wichita Choral Society.  I joined the choir in September of this year at the urging of my sister, who also joined the choir.  We both made it into the choir because there are no auditions; anyone who likes to sing and can carry a tune is welcome.
We practiced every Monday evening at a local church.  We were directed by the executive coordinator of fine arts for the Wichita school system.  For the performance, we had a chamber orchestra as well as professional soloists.  To say they were good is an understatement.  The amateur choir was made much better by their participation.
As you may know, this has been on my bucket list for awhile.  Oh, I don’t have a written list.  I do have some things I’d like to get done before Father Time tells me I can’t.  Singing “The Messiah” was one of those.  I thought, however, I’d never be able to do so because of the requirement of auditions for most choirs.  My voice isn’t trained, and I don’t have the range that is needed by many choirs.
We didn’t do all of the movements.  We did those most familiar to the audience, and those that would carry the message through.  Doing all of the movements would have been an all-afternoon experience.  As it was, we performed for almost 2 ½ hours.
To say that my participation in the choir was a thrill is putting it mildly.  I’ve always thought The Messiah was inspired if anything has been inspired since the first century.  Some of the choruses and words still give me goose bumps and render me unable to sing…I just have to listen until I can compose myself.
We’ll do it again this coming Saturday in Pratt.  We’ve been invited to give a performance there at the First Methodist Church at 7pm (just in case you’d like to go).  Meanwhile, enjoy this flash mob’s rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus a couple of years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE&playnext=1&list=PLF7DC0843F6C9F3F7&feature=results_video

No comments: