Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I Am Content



My aunt (my mother’s brother’s wife) is in the hospital in Wichita, having had triple bypass surgery on Monday of this week (it is Wednesday as I write this).  Her grown kids, all four of them, are here and are looking after things.  My uncle is unable to provide for his own care, so they are looking after him as well.
Clara has been Wayne’s caregiver for several years now.  They live in a retirement center in a nearby city, and life hasn’t been easy for either of them lately.  The family is in the process of making some decisions regarding care and living arrangements, as Clara will not be able to care for her husband for the next several weeks/months as she has been used to doing.
Yesterday, about 24 hours after Clara’s surgery, her daughter Lynne had this short conversation with her.  She posted the conversation on her Facebook page.

Me: "Mom, do you need or want anything?"
Mom: "I am content."
Me: (Still learning from my mama.)

OK, look at that again and read it again.  Here is a woman who had her chest cut open, her heart stopped, and severe trauma inflicted on her by virtue of the surgery.  She is facing not being able to care for her husband, having to care for herself, possibly moving to an environment that provides more care, and a host of other issues.  Yet she is content.
I have a question for you.  When was the last time you could truly say that you were content?  Content with your lot in life…your job, your spouse, your living arrangements, your health…etc.  When was the last time you even thought about contentment or wanted to utter the word?  What would it take for you to truthfully want to say that you were content?  More money?  Better job?  Different husband?  Nicer home?  Membership at the country club?  Just what would it be?
I was socked between the eyes when I read Lynne’s comments.  Guilty as charged.  I do not think of myself as being content.  I haven’t uttered that word or even thought about it regarding my lot in life for many, many years (if ever).  I can’t relate to Paul’s comments about being content in whatever situation he is in at the time.  He says it a little more eloquently than I have.  You can read his comments in Philippians 4:10-13.
“I am content.”  Powerful words that belie a powerful message in a powerful way.

No comments: