Saturday, April 07, 2018

Right, Good, and Honor


Recently, we have begun to watch the Cowboy Channel on cable TV. We found that the channel is now running the old Roy Rogers show, followed by The Lone Ranger between 9pm and 10pm most weeknights. Of course, growing up when those shows were on TV, we can relate to them and appreciate being able to watch them again.
Yes, by today's standards, the shows are rather hokey. The good guys always win. There is always some kind of morality lesson. The heroes are able to do near super-human feats (such as shooting a gun out of someone's hand from 20 paces). People seldom are killed. Women are treated with respect. The scenery seems to be the same from show to show. Stock footage is extensively used.
Here's the deal. I like those shows. I like seeing the good guy win. I like seeing women treated with respect. I like the morality lessons. I like those things...I like to see them...I like to know that others are seeing them. And I am not the least bit hesitant to say so.
Yes, I know that real life isn't always like that. I know that the bad guys win sometimes in real life. I know that women (and kids) are treated badly in real life.. I know that people are senselessly killed. As the benevolence minister at a downtown church, I see these things. I try to help mitigate these things. I rub shoulders with those of God's children who are affected by the things that are not moral...not right...not rosy.
And maybe that's why, for a short time in the later evening, I like to see something positive. I like to see something uplifting. I like to see right prevail. Because it seems to happen so seldom in my real life, maybe that's why I like to revert back to my childhood and cheer when Tonto and The Lone Ranger catch the bad guys. I do a fist pump when Roy and Dale make everything right again.
To carry that farther, I also think of the modern-day Lone Rangers...the modern-day Roy and Dale combos. I think of the Homeless Outreach Team of the Wichita Police Department. I think of Jennifer White and all who work at the Child Advocacy Center. I think of those who contribute treasure to the cause. I think of various public servants, volunteers, workers, and all I know who work to make their corner of the world a better place for their having been there.
So, laugh all you want at Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels, Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, and others who years ago in the early day of television did their best to teach morality and goodness to a generation of kids through a western show. ROTFL as much as you like when you think of these shows and these people. But I dare you to do the same when you think of the people who work the Exploited and Missing Children's Unit, the Internet Crimes Against Children unit, school resource officers, school psychologists, those who rescue children from sex slavery, those who feed the hungry, those who organize and coordinate various recovery, grief, and help groups, those who teach our children, and those who are on the front lines...running toward an emergency rather than running away. Go on. I dare you.
The Lone Ranger lives. He lives in the hearts of all who care...of all who do...of all who are on the front lines of right and good and honor.

No comments: