Monday, March 18, 2019

Remembering Darrell Ryan


Darrell Ryan of Anthony, Kansas passed away late last week.  Now, unless you are a Harper County resident of some longstanding time, you probably don’t know who I’m talking about.  But that’s OK.  I’ll fill you in on some details.
Darrell Ryan was an Anthony, Kansas businessman along with his wife Karen.  He first started in business as an associate sales person for Mueller Brothers Menswear in Anthony.  In about 1980, he and Karen bought the business and continued to operate a classy menswear store on Anthony’s main street in a building that reeked of history.
The store, along with about a city block of the downtown, burned to the ground about 10 years ago, and the Ryans retired rather than try to rebuild.  But during their time as owners of Muellers, they helped keep the small-town economy in Anthony going and growing.  They provided a valuable service to the community and to the area.  And they were business people of honesty, integrity, and the traditional values of family and faith.  They never tried to make themselves stand out in a crowd, but were wonderful examples of decency, humility, and honesty.
Karen, Darrell’s wife, remains alive but I am certain she is struggling to cope with the loss of a life partner and lover.  The family is also, I am certain, struggling to find ways to cope and live without the life and example of Darrell.  And the Christian church in Anthony, the Anthony business community, Darrell’s friends, and all of the others who knew him are pondering the meaning of life and are considering and appreciating a life well-lived to the full.
The only two pair of dress shoes that I now have (and have had for many years) came from Mueller Bros.  One of those pair was sent to me “on approval” when we lived in Topeka, along with a pair of Nike shoes.  I bought both pair and sent them a check.  Of course, the Nike shoes are long gone, but the Florsheims are still looking good.
The only dress socks I have came from Mueller Bros.  And, I still wear some dress slacks from that store.  However, the suits, shirts, and sport coats I have purchased there are mostly gone now, my measurements having grown beyond what they were when I bought the clothing.
I remember going to Muellers when I was a child, with Mom buying my “Sunday best” clothing there.  Moving back to the area in the mid-1980’s, I was pleasantly surprised to find the store still going strong.  It was one of our regular stops when doing clothing or shoe shopping for myself or the boys.  The odor of the store, the layout, and the historic building took me back to my childhood years, and my mind was brought to remembrance why we moved back to my hometown.  I truly enjoyed shopping there (and at Jett’s just down the street); and if you know me, you know that is a statement I seldom make about ANY retail establishment.  I was saddened to hear of its demise in the Anthony downtown fire ten or so years ago.
In the great scheme of things, the world will, as Abraham Lincoln once said, “little note nor long remember” Darrell’s life and his passing.  But for many of us, he had a place in our souls that can never be filled by another…even if that place is just a small one…and even if that place was one that was fueled primarily by a business relationship.
Enjoy your eternal rest in the arms of the Almighty, Darrell.  And to Karen and family, know that Darrell WILL be remembered and appreciated for many years to come.

No comments: