Thursday, May 02, 2019

A Wondrous Creation


Often, especially in the spring and fall, as I go on the streets of Wichita, I see people running. Many times these people are young people anywhere in age from 8 to 28. I presume that some are running just for the exercise. Others, especially school-age young people, may be running to get or stay in condition for track, softball, or some other school sport. And each time I see someone like that, I remind myself that I once was able to do the same thing in as effortless of a manner as these people are seemingly running.
They go along the walk, the path, or at the side of the street in an effortless sort of way, some of them with a rather good kick, and others in it for the long haul. Their bodies are in shape, muscles toned, and coordination at its best. They seem to be enjoying what they are doing, often running in a small group, talking to one-another as they run.
I then wonder if they truly appreciate what their body is able to do for them. The fact that they can be upright, running, remaining balanced, and burning enough calories to provide the energy they need for what they are doing. Their muscles work in coordination with hundreds of other individual parts of their body, propelling them along. And all the while, their brain is working both consciously and sub-consciously, regulating everything from heartbeat to blood sugar level, and giving them a sense of presence and consciousness while it looks out for oncoming traffic and other dangers.
At my age, there are some things that I can no longer do, and other things that it would be best if I didn't do. Oh, I know that if I put my mind to it, got more in shape physically and emotionally, and did the proper training, I could give running a decent effort. But I have to wonder if even that is something I might want to think twice about, given my impaired sense of balance, the constant tingling in my feet (not diabetic neuropathy...had it checked out), and arthritic joints. Maybe it's better if I stick to the 20 to 30 minutes of mostly-daily walking and the occasional work in the yard and let the younger people enjoy the hard stuff.
Yet, I am grateful even for what I am able to do. Yes, my body is wearing thin and wearing out. But I can still function at a reasonable level, both physically and mentally. And on those days when things are a bit worse, I need to continue to be grateful for a body that mostly works, and does what it needs to do to get me through the day. Headache or not, achy joints or not, dizziness or not, I have had, and continue to have use of a wondrous creation of God.
No, I'm not 16 years old anymore. I don't run the 1500 meters (used to be the mile) any more. Nor do I jump from heights above my head and land on my feet anymore. But I do what I can do, and praise the Maker of Heaven and Earth for each day He gives me.

No comments: