Thursday, February 09, 2023

Kindness 101

 Good afternoon and welcome to another Thursday thought.

 I haven’t been feeling well the past several days.  It started late last week…just feeling not quite normal and not a hundred percent.  You know the feeling…almost, but not quite.  Sunday afternoon it got worse, and by Monday morning, I was down for the count.  I originally thought Sunday it was a common cold, but by Monday morning I knew it was something a little different.

The wife thought I had gotten a touch of a flu bug, even though I had gotten a flu shot earlier in the fall.  I slept most of the day Monday and also during that night.  Tuesday, I contacted my provider and asked if she would order an anti-viral.  She did and I started taking it.  Today, Thursday, I’m much better and feel almost back to normal.

My time in flu purgatory was relatively brief, and I seem to be recovering nicely.  For that I am thankful because for older folks, these kinds of things can turn into more serious situations rather easily.  Also, I’m not a very good patient as my wife will attest.  I don’t like to have to stay inside all the time and not go anywhere.  I do my share of moaning and groaning if the circumstances allow.  I think sometimes she’s doing well to be in the same house with me.

I have a couple of takeaways from that recent experience that I’d like to share with you today.  First, I’m not sure what I’d do if I had no one to help me through my illness.  Pat did a great job keeping up the house and doing what needed to be done.  Jackie at GraceMed provided the anti-viral authorization based on my phone call and past experience with her as my medical provider.  My pharmacist didn’t have the medication on hand, but transferred the prescription to a place that did so Pat could pick it up that day and I could start the regimen.  Eric at work handled some things there that I should have been doing those days.  And I’m sure there were others who helped in some way or another…people I don’t know about.  I’m grateful for them all.

Second, on Tuesday I needed to just step out of the house for some air.  I wasn’t feeling well, but needed to get out, even if for just a few moments.  I stepped out on our back deck into the sun and breeze.  In the park just behind our house there was an older gentleman and a young girl walking on the path.  He appeared to be well into his sixties, and she no more than four or five years old.  My presumption was this was a grand father and his grand daughter going for a walk in the park.  We see that kind of thing quite often here.  Families of various kinds and makeups enjoying the outdoors in the park.  Nothing unusual about that.

However, as they were going along, suddenly the girl released her hand from his and started skipping down the path…as far as I could tell, there was no particular reason for her to do that…she just felt like skipping for a time.  Grand dad followed along and increased his walking gait a bit in order not to get too far behind.  She eventually began walking again and they got together again.

Again, nothing out of the ordinary here, except I was struck by the girl’s skipping.  She seemed to just be happy to be in the park with her grandpa, and was expressing that joy through the act of skipping down the path.  The sight of that brought some joy to me as well.  I thought about what I had seen several times during the day that day and how just the little things can bring about happiness and peace in a life that often is fraught with illness, trouble, and pain.  And this girl doesn’t know it…they didn’t even know I was watching them…but she brought some joy to my day by what she did.

I know I’ve preached on this before…but I’ll say it again.  One never, ever knows how much good just a little kindness…a little joy…a little happiness…will do for others who may be in the middle of some kind of trial, illness, or difficult situation in life.  This little girl made a difference in my day by doing what came naturally for her to do at that moment.  Think what kind of a difference you might make in someone’s day if you were intentional in your actions.

Train yourself to begin to look for ways you can make the life of someone else better or easier.  Unless you’re a hermit, you’ll probably find several such opportunities in the course of a normal day.  Then take advantage of one or more of those opportunities.  Spread a little kindness and cheer to others.  Start today.

 

Blessings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: