Sunday, April 23, 2023

Hope

Good evening. I am writing this week's Thursday Thought today because I won't be available this Thursday. So, you get two thoughts in three days !!

Today, I watched CBS News “60 Minutes.” I don't know if you watch that or not. But I try to watch it if possible. This evening, they had a piece on the situation in northwestern Syria. They concentrated on the medical care in that area. Syria, in the event you are unaware, has been going through over ten years of warfare within itself. Rebels want to overthrow the Assad regime, and of course, Mr. Assad wants to remain in power as his family has done for over five decades. Assad has help from Russia, which is complicit in everything Assad has done regarding genocide, chemical warfare, and other atrocities.

Not long ago, a huge earthquake shook the northwestern part of the country, causing massive building collapse and further pain and suffering, if that were possible, than what the war has been causing. Multiple tens of thousands of additional refugees were created by the quake, only adding on to the misery of the people.

I don't have the words to describe what I saw in the twenty minute piece aired by CBS. You'll have to watch it yourself on either the CBS site or on YouTube. I will tell you, though, that when I watch such scenes of horror and devastation, I normally have two things I think.

First, my anger increases. Anger with those carrying on the fighting. Anger with the world which is impotent or unwilling to stop it. Anger with the greed and self-centeredness that is usually at the heart of such battles. Anger that human beings could do such things to other human beings.

Second, I think of something Fred Rogers said years ago. He told us that when bad things are happening to look for the helpers. The helpers, he said, will always be there.

Rather than concentrate the rest of this post on my anger, I prefer to concentrate it on the helpers I saw in the piece. I can't name them all, but I saw rescuers, equipment operators, doctors, nurses, hospital staff, and others who were making it their life work to help others as best they could, given the dire situation which was presented to them. Without these helpers, the death toll would be even worse than it already is. They truly are angels sent by God.

In an interview with one of the doctors, the question was asked regarding what was most needed. The doctor could have said food, medications, supplies, and so on. But what he said was that people there need hope. Hope. Without hope, there is no future. Without hope, there is no desire for wholeness. Without hope, the nation will perish.

The doctor who was being interviewed believed he and others, in a small way, were giving hope to those they served. Besides setting bones, stitching wounds, and performing surgery, these people...the helpers...were giving hope to those they encountered. The people know they are not alone. They know there are others who care. They know they are not only on the minds of others, but are also in their hearts. And that gives hope.

I urge you to not only know what is happening in the world, but also what is happening outside your front door. There is always need. There also is always the need for the helpers. Those who will give hope to the hopeless. You can, even if in a small way, be a helper. You don't have to be a doctor or rescue professional. Everyone can give hope. Everyone can help in some way. Give it a try. I think you'll be glad you did.


Blessings.

No comments: