Wednesday, April 18, 2007

An Observation

It’s been a few days since I’ve put pen to paper (an anachronism from the old days) and posted something for my two faithful readers. That doesn’t mean that nothing has happened, or that I haven’t thought about anything. That only means that I haven’t had the time, energy, or will to expend the brain power to do this.
If you haven’t written a book, story, poem, or other writing under a sense of “I need to do this,” you probably don’t know that writing can take a lot of mental energy and emotional resources. That’s why I only write two to four times a week. Sometimes I can put something in two or three days in a row, or once in a while even twice in the same day. But generally, I have to rest my eighteen brain cells a few days in between.
Yesterday, we had a staff meeting. It was a routine meeting except for one item. We seemed to work on it for the longest time making sure we understood what our supervisor was saying. It seems like we circled all around the issue and poked and prodded it from various directions, making sure that communication had indeed taken place. No one seemed willing to pick it up and go with it for the longest time, apprehensive, I guess, that it might not be what it seemed to be.
I enjoyed watching the interaction and mostly kept silent during that time. I seem to learn more that way and think (although only time will tell) that I understand what was being said due in part to listening to the interactions of the others.
I’ve talked about communication before. I’ll say it again. Communication is without a doubt one of the hardest things human beings do. Forget climbing Mount Everest. Good communication is clearly more difficult. However, when it’s done correctly, it’s amazing how the wheels stop squeaking, the gears mesh, and the old jalopy of life goes smoothly down the road.

No comments: