Friday, May 04, 2007

Antennae

I often have to wonder how and why some folks seem to be able to look at a situation and rather immediately perceive that something is amiss or not quite right. The actual situation can differ, but some people just seem to have a perceptive quality inside that seems to know instinctively that something will or will not happen, something is not quite right, or something is not as it should be.
I got that feeling yesterday when dealing with one of the girls. Although I had never been in that specific type of situation before, I got the distinct feeling that something wasn’t as advertised. I still have it. I don’t know if I’m correct or not as the situation hasn’t played out to the full. But it’s there…that feeling…in all it’s glory.
I’ve had the feeling before. And I’ve been wrong before. But I’ve also been right and seem to be right more often now than I used to be some time ago. I believe I can trust this feeling a little more than I used to be able to do.
Quite possibly, this quality in people is nothing remarkable or magical. My guess is that it is a quality that most humans have to process information, pick up on signs and clues that we have no idea we even perceive, and form some kind of opinion based on all of this information coming together somehow amongst our 4 quadrillion or so neural connections. This quality probably is honed and sharpened with experience and tends to work better in a mature mind.
What is it? Intuition? Hunch? Perception? Insight? Sixth sense? Whatever one calls it, it can work for good, but since it is only a guess (albeit a guess based on information and facts as we know them), we must treat it as such and work as objectively with the issue as possible. We can’t let feelings control us, but can indeed use them to help us live and get along in the world.
We’ll possibly see whether my gut is telling me the right thing or not in the next few days. Meanwhile, life goes on and the antennae remain (hopefully) receptive.

No comments: