Monday, July 16, 2007

Listening

The wife and I went down and worked on our rental house today. We’ve been down there several times over the past two or three weeks, and we’re just now beginning some re-building following a lot of tearing up, down, and out. It’s been a discouraging process to go through, because the house is where we raised our family and is where I grew up. It just doesn’t seem right to have to see the old home place look like this.
Every time we go down, we are welcomed by a house wren and his missus. They’ve taken up residence in an old wren house attached to a post that isn’t more than about six feet off the ground and about 15 feet from our back door. Regardless of the weather, the man of the house is singing away either in a nearby sycamore, on top of the post, or on top of the wren house. He helps his wife take in various kinds of bugs…I am assuming there is a family inside.
I think God sent him there to keep me on the right track. This house repair is awfully discouraging. But the wren doesn’t care what the weather is, what shape the house is in, or anything else. He knows what he knows, and he knows that he needs to sing his song. And he does sing…and he cheers me whenever he sings.
We’ve had wrens in that house (one I built as a teenager) for years. Even when we moved and rented the place out, they still came. I’m glad they’re here this year. It’s just one more reminder that God loves me and desires what is best for me. Now, if I’d only listen….

No comments: