Saturday, August 04, 2007

"I Can't Believe You're Here!!"

I’m seeing something in both my and my wife’s families that is interesting. We both are gradually, it seems, coming back together as a family either in or close to the places where we grew up.
My wife’s brothers and sisters will, by the end of this year if things go well, all be within about 75 miles of each other, except for one. Other assorted relatives, nieces, cousins, etc. are also in this radius.
My family is centering, it seems, here in Wichita. Three of the six of us are here now. There are also other family members in this area. Whether or not we will all eventually gather here, or even if any others gather here, I don’t know. But at least we are here.
This is not an unexpected thing. Families many times do this in the latter stages of life. I just wasn’t expecting it with our families quite this soon. But it’s also comforting to know that others we know and love are just a few minutes away, even with the instant communication of Yahoo Messenger, email, or cell phone.
As sis has said to me more than once, “I can’t believe you’re here!”

No comments: