Friday, November 02, 2007

Customer Service

I had to call the Kansas Unemployment center today. It seems that I incorrectly answered a question on my first weekly claim for unemployment and had to call to straighten it out. I got my information together and set about to make the call.
After going through several menus, I was told that due to the high volume of calls, I should call back. It then hung up on me. I wasn’t very happy, but decided to call back later in the day.
A couple hours later, I wasn’t doing much and decided to call again. Going through the menus again, this time I hit a good time and someone was ready to take my call. Michelle was courteous, helpful, understandable, and fixed the problem for me.
I don’t like the menu system. I’d much rather tell someone what I need and have them route me to the correct person. However, I must say that at times I’ve found myself talking to someone who didn’t have a clue how to help me because the telephone person (could be male or female) either dialed the wrong extension or didn’t know that the person they were connecting me to was the incorrect person for the job. At least this way my call gets to the correct place, assuming I push the correct buttons.
A lot is said about government bureaucrats and their reluctance to do a good job. I don’t know much about Michelle at the Kansas Unemployment Call Center, but I am impressed with her. Her personality seemed to come out in the conversation, and she seemed to be a “real” human being, besides being able to take care of the problem.
I’ve also had good experience with the folks at KPERS, the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System. They do good customer service and treat their clients like they should. A live person always answers the phone there, and can usually answer any questions one might have. If not, you are quickly routed to another live person who can help.
Many private businesses could learn a thing or two about customer service from Michelle at the unemployment place, and the folks at KPERS.

No comments: