Monday, December 31, 2007

Year End

Today is the last day of 2007. I could, at this point, go on about where the years have gone, lamenting the aging of myself along with the general population, and the seeming flying by of society and technology while I sit on the sidelines. But I’ll spare you those things this year and concentrate on something else.

It is said in some circles that older people don’t learn nearly as well. I don’t know if it is the collective resistance to learning new things, an innate inability to learn due to diminished brain cell function, or something else that makes people say that. I do know, however, that 2007 was one of those years that this late-50’s person learned, and learned a lot. Not that I caught up on technology or learned a new language, but rather that I learned about life and living in a way that made the whole experience worthwhile.

I won’t bore you with the details. You may well already know most of them anyway if you keep up with my blog. Suffice it to say that I am more compassionate, more appreciative, and more grateful now. There’s something about working with teenagers and their families, with those who survive day to day, with unemployment, and with a church family that truly cares that makes all but the most-hardened knot heads take pause. Thankfully, I don’t believe I am one of those in the most-hardened category (although I’ll defer to the wife for a final determination).

What will the new year hold? I haven’t a clue, but I know that whatever it is, I want to be part of it, because The Adventure Continues. Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: