Friday, February 01, 2008

It All Comes Down to This

Well, a whole week has come and gone since the last blog. Sorry. It’s been hectic at work, and when I get home, I don’t feel like doing much of anything. It’ll calm down before long, but until then, I’ll probably not write much during the week.

I was out helping direct cars in the parking lot at the new nursing home last night. It was my job to help people coming to the open house find parking spaces and get them in the right doors of the building. The weather was cold, but I had lots of clothing on and was doing just fine. The open house for the professionals (invitation only) was from 5:30 to 7:30pm. That’s when I was helping in the parking lot.

I was standing there listening to and looking at the traffic on Maize road, which goes by our place of work, during a time when no one was coming in. I started thinking how in the world I went through fifty-some years of life, and more moves and jobs than I care to count, just to end up in a parking lot greeting the mucky mucks who came for the festivities.

At about that time, the setting sun came out from behind a cloud bank that had been overhead all day and had dropped four inches of snow on us earlier. It briefly shone and lit up everything with that reddish-orange glow that comes from a setting sun. And somehow (you’re gonna think I’m strange) I knew that this was the place where I was supposed to be and this was what I was supposed to be doing at this time.

The rest of the evening was uneventful, and all ended well. But for just a brief moment, I got the distinct feeling that there was something or someone bigger than I who knew that I was standing there and that I was wondering about how it all came down to this.

Next week we have the state fire marshal inspection and the state nursing home inspector. It’ll be another hectic week.

2 comments:

Wild Flower said...

And you tell me I write eloquently-this is a wonderful example of how you can put your feelings into words. I don't think you're strange at all. (Well, at least in this example..)

Anonymous said...

Being observant and listening to the messages God's send us (in whatever form) is not strange.

Kathy