Sunday, February 24, 2008

Learning to Live

It is said that everyone does something to ease the pain. Whatever the pain, whatever the cause, whatever it is that people do, everyone does something. You may be asking what prompted me to write about this? “What pain?” you ask. “What in the world are you talking about…easing the pain?”

I think most people recognize that life comes with pain, but do different things to help ease it. Some turn to drugs, whether legal or illegal. Others seek relief in relationships. Still others have hobbies, or are work-a-holics. Some resort to religion, mysticism, or some kind of spirituality. As many things as you can think of, those are things that people do to mask the pain…to make life and living tolerable.

I know that I write when I feel the need. As I’ve said before, I don’t really care if anyone reads what I’ve written or not, I find a comfort and peace in writing, whether religious articles, or things like this. It makes things better. I also like to listen to good music. That helps, at times. And I like to be with others who I know will accept me for who I am and not try to make me into what they’d like me to be.

Some people, though, deny that they are in pain. They pretend that everything is hunky-dory (I wonder where THAT expression came from), and go through life in denial. Still others say that there is no pain. They not only deny that they are in pain, they deny that pain exists. They, too, wonder through life in some kind of delusional state, claiming a falsehood as a truth and staking their well-being on the same. These people, by their denial, actually validate the fact that they are in pain and are trying to do something to ease it.

Life in this fallen world is for many of us a wonderful existence. For many others, it’s a struggle to breathe and find enough calories and water to make it through the day. Regardless of our lot in life, we all have times, situations, and circumstances that from time to time cause us some kind of life-pain, whether physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual. It’s this…the pain that naturally results from living…that I’m talking about.

I’ve used this before, but will do so again. The song “The Rose” by Amanda McBroom has as it’s second verse,

It's the heart, afraid of breaking That never learns to dance

It's the dream, afraid of waking That never takes the chance

It's the one who won't be taken Who cannot seem to give

And the soul, afraid of dying That never learns to live

Such are those, I believe, who either deny they are in pain or deny that pain exists. We never really learn to live until we cease to be afraid…afraid of the pain that this imperfect life gives us. And once we’ve learned to no longer be afraid…to deal with the pains and setbacks that life hands us, then we’ve also learned to live.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't think i've ever heard that song before, but i like it

MamaRedd said...

Origin of the phrase "hunky-dory":

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/28/messages/101.html

--- said...

Beautiful. Very well-spoken... or well-typed if you want to be precice.

Anonymous said...

You did good - again!

(Of course, I love the song.)

Kathy