Saturday, September 20, 2008

Dives and Establishments

Today, I went over to my barber on 13th Street to get a haircut. I got there just as she was opening, and there were a couple of guys there waiting ahead of me, so I went next door to the Riverside Café for breakfast.

It’s always a treat to go to that café. Nothing pretentious, and a throwback to the days of plate lunches, lunch counters, and juke boxes, this place was so noisy at 9am that I had to raise my voice to the waitress to be heard.

Sitting at the counter beside a man and (who I presume was) his about 9 year old daughter, I noted the bustle of several employees, the loudness of conversation, and the juke box. Oh, the juke box. There are stations at many of the tables, just like the old days. The selections never change, however. And if no one plays anything for pay, the box just makes a selection every so often and blares out something from Elvis, Patti Page, the Four Tops, Louis Armstrong, or someone else from that era.

The lunch counter has a solid (no seams) copper top that has only become more striking with age and use. The cabinets behind the counter are wood, real wood, and crafted with obvious care by someone who took pride in his work. The place is crowded and cramped at times, but everyone is a friend there, and even the owner, who takes cash, tells you he’s glad you stopped in and please stop in again.

I had three strips of bacon, two eggs over medium (a little sloppy, though), wheat toast, hash browns for under five dollars ($4.59). Coffee was a dollar nineteen. The meal was unimpressive in itself, but the ambiance was great. I just sort-of sat there and took it all in. Nothing matched. Forks didn’t match spoons. Coffee cups were random this or that. The water pitchers were different colors. Pictures and other things were hung on the wall in not much of an apparent order.

I’ll take some dive like that over a fancy schmancy establishment any day.

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

I LOVE Riverside. Call me the next time you go. Especially if it's on a Saturday.