Saturday, September 06, 2008

What a Time!

In her speech to the Republican convention this week, Governor Palin used the “I” word. I don’t believe I have heard that word uttered by either of the Democratic candidates, or Senator McCain, for that matter. That’s not to say that they have not done so, for I have not heard all of what they have said. It’s just that I have not yet heard it.

In fact, very few politicians dare, I think, use the word because of the awesome responsibility that comes with it.

That word is INTEGRITY.

In her speech, Gov. Palin said, “No one expects us all to agree on everything; but we are expected to govern with integrity, and good will, and clear convictions, and a servant’s heart. And I pledge to all Americans that I will carry myself in this spirit as Vice President of the United States.”

Not only did she use the word; she promised to be that person of integrity as the Vice President. That means, according to the dictionary definition, that Gov. Palin has promised a Vice Presidency that is “possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards.”

Many words can be used to describe this kind of behavior. Morality, honesty, truthfulness, honor, reliability, uprightness…all these and more are good descriptions. But to capture the essence, the fundamentality of the thought, I believe the word integrity must be used.

I don’t know who I will vote for come November. I am one of those undecided voters, knowing that things haven’t worked well for the last many years and wondering if I can do anything at all at the polling place to change what I perceive as self-serving, petty politics at the expense of the good of a nation and world.

But I do know that I will continue to search for people who both use this word and demonstrate by their lives that they understand what the word means, and will tend to gravitate toward them even if I don’t agree with them in all issues.

The jury is out on Gov. Palin as to whether or not she is the real deal. She has a couple of months, as do the other candidates, to convince me that she is a person of integrity as she says. This will be an interesting time.

No comments: