Sunday, December 14, 2008

Plodding Through Church (Not!)

I follow a blog written by a cousin of mine (actually, I think she’s a “first cousin once removed”). Joanna wrote several days ago about counting down to the weekends and dreading Sunday because it was the beginning of another week. I can relate somewhat to that, as I become noticeably more calm inwardly when Thursday afternoon comes, and Fridays are really a good day because I have a couple days to rest.

I have learned, however, to not dread Sundays or Sunday nights (which is now as I write this). On the contrary, I find Sundays to be the best of the days of the week, primarily due to the interaction and fellowship of my church family on that day. Of course, afternoon naps, Sunday dinner, and football are helpful in making Sunday a great day, but I’ll say with conviction and surety that it’s the relationships we have with church friends that makes the day.

Today I watched our sign language interpreter sign Silent Night as we sang. I watch them often, entranced by the beauty of that language and their interpretation of it. Today was no exception. I was moved to tears as I watched Scott interpret that song, and seemed to hang on each word and phrase, soaking in the meaning of God becoming a human being because of His love for me.

Rick had a great lesson and Eric did a masterful job as worship leader. The class was relevant and encouraging, and people were friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

As I sit here and think about it, I think that’s one of the big things about Central. The people who come seem to be genuinely happy to be there. Church doesn’t seem to be a chore or something that they must plod through (even though we’ve spent the last seven or so weeks in Habakkuk chapter 1 in class…is that “plodding”?); it’s a joy and a privilege. Church politics and things that are not for the edification of all just aren’t allowed to be there. That kind of attitude rubs off on me, and I hope that my attitude is such that the good parts of it rub off on others.

Even though I’d much rather be retired and not have to go to work tomorrow, I’m ready for the week ahead. One huge reason for that is I have been renewed and revitalized by my association with others today who also both need revitalization and provide it.

Church is a blessing to me, and I hope it is for you as well. If it isn’t, maybe there’s something that’s not as it should be either in your life or in the life of your church family. In either case, it’s your business and it’s your responsibility.

No comments: