Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New President

Mr. Obama is the President of the United States. Now, that isn't news for most of you, and for some, it may even be bad news. But the fact is that he is the President, and we now have, for the first time in history, an African-American President. Just as many have already said, I never expected to see this day. Since I am Caucasian, I never put the personal emphasis on it as some have, but I have always been interested in things like this.
I recall as a child in the 1950's, growing up in a small, white community. I recall hearing the stirrings of the civil rights movement, and in the 1960's some of the tragedies of that time. I recall being somewhat confused by it all. After all, I didn't have to find a restroom that said "colored" on the door, or be careful where I went to conduct business. It wasn't that I was racist...I just didn't have an understanding of what was really going on.
I also recall as a child in the 1950's, when Dad ran cattle and an African-American veterinarian came to our town. We never talked much of it, and most of the people in the community pretty much left them alone, but Dad acted like there was nothing out of the ordinary in having Dr. Hurley treat his cattle.
I learned something from that experience of watching my father and this good doctor interact and transact business with one-another. And I suspect that most of us learned about race and race relations in exactly the same way. Fathers and mothers teach through their actions and words much more than they may ever know. Little eyes are watching and little ears are hearing, and little brains absorb it all.
Like it or not, Democrat or Republican, we have an obligation to support the President and to do all we can to make this republic all it can be. We have an obligation to pray for those in authority. And we have an obligation to be good citizens, pay our taxes, petition our government, and participate in the solution rather than remain part of the problem.
May God bless Barack Obama.

No comments: