Sunday, February 01, 2009

So the close of another Sunday rapidly descends. Although this day is the first day of the calendar week, for many of us tomorrow will actually seem like the first day of the week because it is the first day of a work week.
Some enjoy the coming of the work week because they like their jobs, like their work environment, and take pride in a job well done. Others are ambivalent about their jobs and the work week is just something that happens regularly. Still others don’t really like their work, greatly dreading the start of the work week.
I’ll not tell you where I fall in, but will only say that there are things in my life right now that are more important than work. I like the job well enough. The hours are good, the environment is friendly, and the pay is fine. I’m just at the stage in life where work isn’t all there is to life. I’ve been there, done that. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. There are experiences of life that are more challenging than anything work can throw at me, so the challenge of my work isn’t where it’s at, either.
Some of you reading this know what the term “knob-farkeler” means (Yes, I know, the spellchecker doesn’t like that word. It suggests “darkener”, “foreleg”, or “fickler.”). For those that don’t, the term is a family expression which that means that things are working somehow to make things turn out in a certain way. We “borrowed” the term from the dice game by the same name. Our family chooses to use that expression to mean that God is working in someone’s life.
I get the rather unsettling (although not in a bad way) idea that there is some knob-farkeling (spellchecker: parceling, freckling, barreling) going on, and that there is some setting-up of things by Someone that will result in yet another, shall I say, adventure in my journey through space-time.
Now, I don’t know that’s true, but I’m not a young man any more. I’ve lived life, and believe that with maturity and observation come a kind of sense that starts nudging, picking, and poking when such things are happening. That poking and nudging has begun. I can’t explain it…but my antennae are perking up, fine-tuned to pick up the vibes.
Lord knows I’ve had enough adventures. And bless her heart, my lovely wife has gone on many of them with me. Thankfully I don’t see that this farkeling has to do with job loss or moving, although I don’t know for sure. I do know that whatever happens, we will be fine and things will work out; they always have.
I don’t claim to know (or want to know) the future. I’m not obsessed by what may or may not happen. I’m more concerned about the here and now and whether I’m in the place where I’m supposed to be, doing the thing I’m supposed to do. It’s been a great ride so far, and I’m looking forward to what is ahead, however far or near those events may be.


All I Ever Have to Be
By Amy Grant

When the weight of all my dreams
Is resting heavy on my head,
And the thoughtful words of health and hope
Have all been nicely said.

But I'm still hurting,
Wondering if I'll ever be
The one I think I am.

I think I am.

Then you gently re-remind me
That you've made me from the first,
And the more I try to be the best
The more I get the worst.

And I realize the good in me,
Is only there because of who you are.

Who you are...

And all I ever have to be
Is what you've made me.
Any more or less would be a step
Out of your plan.

As you daily recreate me,
Help me always keep in mind
That I only have to do
What I can find.

And all I ever have to be
All I have to be
All I ever have to be
Is what you've made me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkdMXx_JlQ

No comments: