Monday, April 13, 2009

The Robin

Tonight as we were coming out of the Y, I remarked that there was a robin around somewhere because I heard the distinct song not far away. Sure enough, he was perched in one of the young trees in the front area of the building complex, singing away.
Robins have a unique song that they use many times in the early morning as dawn breaks, and also as the sun sets and twilight fades. I don’t really know how to describe it, but I know it (and you will too) when I hear it.
The bird people will probably say that the robin sings this particular song because he is marking territory or he is calling for his mate, or some such other practical thing. And that may be entirely true.
But I suspect that even if that is the case, there may well be more to the robin’s message than just marking territory or finding his mate. The early morning/late twilight song of the robin is one that tells me that he’s glad to be alive and is thankful that he has made it through another day (or that he’s grateful to have another day ahead of him). I imagine him singing to his Creator his thanks for providing his nourishment and strength. And I imagine the Creator looking on, listening to His creation and calling it good.
You say I’m putting more into it than is there. Maybe so. But I suspect we don’t know the half of what we see and hear in the wonderful universe that is God’s workshop.

No comments: