Saturday, May 09, 2009

I don’t know if everyone does this or not, but I accumulate things in my head that I think about from time to time. Sometimes, it feels kind of good to get them out and on paper, so to speak. I’ve had several blogs where I list random thoughts; here’s another one.
Why do people who otherwise wouldn’t think of littering throw their cigarette butt on the ground when they get out of a car in a parking lot? Can’t they put it out in their ash tray before they step out?
Have you ever seen someone ahead of you in line in a department store pay for a purchase with all three methods of payment (cash, check, and credit card)? I have. I was behind her a couple of days ago. And the cash was forty one-dollar bills.
I wonder why I always seem to pick the cash register lines where the woman (excuse me…person) in front can’t find her credit card, argues about a price, takes five minutes to write a check, has seventy-two coupons to use, or insists on finding thirteen cents in the bottom of her very large purse to give to the check out person (or uses all three methods of payment on one purchase).
Is it really necessary for all three lanes of traffic to be clear before making a right turn onto a street? Isn’t it sufficient for the lane to the far right to be clear?
How can someone drive down a street and never turn their head to look to the right or to the left for traffic, etc?
Are kids smarter today than we were back when? Or is it just that they have more gadgets to work with?
Have you noticed that there really isn’t anything new under the sun, just as the writer of Ecclesiastes says?
Somewhere inside that chicken egg I broke open this morning and fried lies all the information needed to supply a baby chick with the ability to peck his way out of his shell, eat, drink, scratch the dirt, and know what the sounds mean that a mother hen makes. Amazing.
A chicken egg (or any egg for that matter), before it begins to develop, is a single cell.
Why does the price of gasoline spurt up eighteen to twenty cents a gallon overnight, go down two or three cents a two or three times in the next few days, then spurt up another eighteen cents overnight again? Why can’t it spurt down as rapidly as it spurts up?
The price of bread is approaching four dollars for some loaves. Does anyone besides me think that’s a tad high? How much more are people willing to pay?
Was there ever anything better than Abbott and Costello’s “Who’s On First?”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Watf8_Rf58s&feature=related

No comments: