Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Week That Was

I’ve been a little slow to write recently. A lot has happened in the past seven days, much of it not good. You all are aware that Wichita is now going through the death of Dr. George Tiller. That has affected everyone here regardless of what side of the abortion debate one is on, or if one even has a side. I know that all murders should probably rate this same kind of condemnation and coverage, but the fact is that they don’t. Some are just more high profile than others and this is one of those.
Our church is changing its name beginning June 1. That is exciting for us as it helps usher in other plans for the future as well. I enjoy where we worship and fellowship and am thankful God brought us to that place.
I am having issues with one of my employees at work, and will have to deal with that next week. I never enjoy having to do these kinds of things even though I have managed other people for many years. Contrary to the Dilbert comic strip where Catbert, evil Human Resources Director, enjoys torturing employees, for me anyway it’s never a pleasant thing or something I look forward to. I’ll be glad when the day is done on Monday.
I need to prepare a Bible class for this summer session. I’m teaching only one topic, but will give the lesson four times as we rotate through four adult classes. My topic is “Washing the Disciples’ Feet.” All summer we are devoting classes to stories and topics in the Bible having to do with water. I felt almost uniquely qualified to teach this class as I probably am the only one of the list of teachers who has ever actually done this as part of a religious observance. I don’t know if the church of my heritage still practices this or not…Wayne, maybe you can help enlighten me on that (also, Wayne, if you have any thoughts, ideas, resources etc. on the subject that you could share, I’d like to hear them)…but I will always be grateful for the lessons it taught me, even at the young age I was when I participated.
I’m not sure that there is any specific and strict command out of Scripture that tells us we need to literally wash one-another’s feet, but to do that in a proper and dignified occasion is indeed a great symbol of our call to serve, which is specific.
And while we’re on the subject, I wish sometimes we would practice the act of kneeling before our God and Maker from time to time. Again, there is no specific command, I think, but we sometimes are so “casual” in approaching our God in prayer and worship. Somehow, I don’t think we’ll stand in awe of Him as the song says, but rather I think we’ll be face down prostrate on the ground for a time until His gentle hand helps us up. Kneeling helps us have a more clear understanding, I think, of that eternal moment.
Today we’ll spend much of the day in Central Kansas at a birthday celebration. We’ll be leaving momentarily, so I need to sign off. Have a good weekend.

3 comments:

Wayne said...

We don't do feet washing here in our church anymore. Sometimes there's a "hand washing" service done. There are congregations I know of that still do the literal feet washing service about 2-3 times a year.

I've always felt that it was the humble servant aspect of the rite that was important. Finding ways to use symbols of servanthood from our society would be more meaningful than washing one another's feet. Room here for members' input. My opinion.

WDK

Daughter of Wisdom said...

I hate to sound like a bible-thumping Christian but Jesus did institute two rites at the Last Supper - Communion and Foot Washing. See John 13. He said, "If I then your Lord and Master, have washed your feet: ye also ought to wash one another's feet. I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." (John 13: 14-15).

Foot washing was a humble act performed by servants. We could argue that we could show humility to our brethren by doing something for them that seems humiliating and "beneath our dignity." That would be a good way to apply the principles of the ordinance of footwashing in real life, but the reason why we perform the ordinance of Foot Washing is to remind us of Jesus' humility and servanthood.

In the same way, we take part in communion, not because we are hungry and need to eat, which the disciples needed to do at the Last Supper, but to "show the Lord's death until He comes (1 Corinthians 11:26). We could show the Lord's death in many ways such as with Easter pageants, and movies, etc., but Jesus wants us to be partakers with Him in this feast with which honors His death/sacrifice.

Little Mama said...

The Catholic Church incorporates foot-washing into the celebration of the Last Supper on Holy Thursday . . . I've always thought that was cool. We have kneeling, too, of course, which I've always felt was meaningful. Maybe the reverence really does do more for us than it does for Him . . .