Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hope

I had a few minutes of free time this afternoon after calling a couple of Bingo games at work. I sat and visited with a lady from our church who is also a short term resident at our place. As we were visiting about this and that, an older lady who also is a resident sat down at the piano and started playing.
She was playing in (how shall I say) an evangelical protestant style similar to what one might hear in a Baptist church. And she was doing very well for her age (90 years or more old). She had lost her husband, a retired preacher, just 10 or so days ago. He had suffered with dementia for several years. They both moved here when they got just too frail to remain at home.
The first song she played was “Because He Lives”, written by Bill and Gloria Gaither. If you don't know the words to the song, you should. “Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future; and life is worth the living just because He lives.”
I have to admit that I teared up a bit while she was playing that song. She's not always “with it” herself at 100%, but today at least, she knew, apparently, where her hope lay.
I saw a quiet strength and witness in this woman today that I've not seen before in her. I don't think I'll soon forget the evangelical musical recital I heard today.

No comments: