Sunday, October 31, 2010

Some Observations

Oh, where to start? This weekend, we drove to Colorado Springs to see our niece and her family and take in an Air Force football game. The missus and I had gone to one other AF game a few years ago as guests of a retired Colonel, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. We got the opportunity to go again at the invitation of our niece, who is a Chief Master Sergeant stationed there. Our older son and his wife met us there. We had a great time with the family and at the game. However, there were some things I noticed that didn’t have much to do with either of those topics (family and game) that I’d like to share.

• I don’t know if stimulus money is buying all of the road construction in Southwest Kansas or not, but there’s money somewhere that’s buying all of the tearing up of the roadways and bridges.
• It hasn’t rained in awhile in Eastern Colorado. It shows.
• There isn’t much between Kit Carson and Colorado Springs. A couple of wide spots…Wild Horse, Yoder, Rush. And Ellicot has a convenience store. Other than that, it’s about 80 miles with no services. And not many people.
• I had almost forgotten just how black the night can be when there are no lights and no moon to foul it up.
• I had also forgotten that the air is noticeably thinner there, and it’s not hard to tell once you are there and exert just a little.
• There have been rumblings of the Academy favoring Christianity over other religions. As far as I can see (and from what my niece tells me…and she is in a position to know), they are bending over backwards and doing the splits to accommodate all religious faiths equally. Seems to me to be much ado about nothing…little people wanting to make a big splash.
• I was caught off guard a time or two when a cadet addressed me as “sir”. I sort of looked around to see who he was talking to…and it was me.
• If the traffic in our part of Colorado Springs was any indication, the economy is doing “real well” there. Either that or a lot of people are burning through savings and credit in order to drive.

And now, some things about the family.
• Big dogs are nice, but I’m glad Chief is staying out there instead of being with us (no offense, Chief).
• Having a daughter instead of a couple of sons would have been a “whole ‘nuther world” for us. I think I’m glad God gave us what He gave us (No offense, Kayla. I think I would have been thoroughly befuddled by girls.)
• Cole, there will come a time when your mother won’t let you entertain a friend who happens to be a girl at your house when your parents aren’t home…even for a few minutes. Enjoy it now while you can.
• Children are indeed a gift from God.

And now a couple of observations about the game.
• When F-16’s fly over at low altitude, then turn straight up and open the throttles, they rumble even your toenails and tonsils.
• Those F-16’s were only a few (5 to 10) seconds early for the flyover…amazing timing given their speed. (BTW, the official name for the F-16 Viper is the "Fighting Falcon".)
• Cadets on the march are an amazing sight.
• The falcon had his own mind following the working demonstration. “I’ll come back and let you pick me up when I’m ready,” he seemed to be saying. Way to go, falcon!
• The concessions were very reasonably priced…the parking was free…there were many people to guide those who were arriving and departing. Good job. KU could learn a lesson from them.
• Parachutes are so controllable nowadays, one can guide himself down to practically wherever he likes.
• The key of C is a horrid key in which to try to sing the National Anthem.
• The music emanating from the stadium speakers during “downtime” was even more horrid. Enough, already.
• Free tickets on the 40 yard line, free concessions, free parking…what else could one ask for? Thanks, Angie, for everything.

No comments: