Saturday, November 06, 2010

Fact of Life

Tonight we gain back the hour we lost last spring. Or so it seems. Standard time once again will resurrect itself for a few brief months in the dead of winter, only to be replaced by daylight time next year. I don’t know how much things really change because of this man-made event, nor do I know how much it really affects the human internal clock. Some people say it is a chaotic time; others seem to slide through it with no thought.
I guess I’m really wondering just how many more of these time changes I’ll see. I’m not really old. However, I know I have many more years behind me than I have ahead of me, even if I live a normal life span. Increasingly, I see a kind of wall that is being built in my future, through which I’ll not go, and on the other side of which I’ll not see. I’m not the builder of the wall: time is.
There’s nothing macabre or melancholy about this line of thought, at least in my mind. It’s a fact of life and happens to everyone. I would think that one would be prepared as best as possible, and welcome the change from life in a broken world to life in perfection and peace. Of course, if one is not inclined to faith in Jehovah God, that future may not be readily apparent.
And, of course, there’s always the possibility that the men and women of faith who have inhabited history past are wrong. There may be no God. There may be no future. There may be no perfection and peace.
Much as I sometimes wonder, I choose to believe. I choose to look forward to a future of peace and security. I choose to look toward the answer to my faith. So, in a way, it doesn’t matter much how many more time changes I’ll see. The wall that is being erected in my future is only a temporary hold-back.
I don’t know all the details. And that’s OK, even though I admit it’s frustrating at times. All I need to know is that one day, time itself will go away, and whatever that looks like, I will be there in peace, safety, and security.

No comments: