Friday, November 12, 2010

How We've Grown

I can’t believe that it’s been only 20 years that we’ve had the term “World Wide Web”. So says NBC News tonight in a story recognizing the genesis of widespread public use of the Internet.
It seems that it’s been almost forever since the Internet has been part of our lives. It’s everywhere and is used for everything. It has revolutionized information sharing and society as a whole. The world is a lot smaller, by an enormous factor, because of it.
It’s ubiquitous. It’s a necessity. It’s part of us.
I recall well the first time I logged on to the World Wide Web. It was at the hospital where I worked in the 1990’s. It was, I believe, 1993. I had to make a long distance phone call to Salina to connect, and what I found on the web was not at all what is there now. Pretty much limited to text…reports, papers, statistics…one had to know exactly what one wanted because there was no search engine.
I thought it was extremely cool that my computer (probably a 386 processor running Windows 3.1 and 4mb of RAM) could actually connect with another and view files on that computer.
My, how we have grown. Or have we??

No comments: