Monday, November 22, 2010

The Holidays

It's not often that I lack for something to say or write. This weekend was one of those times. I don't know if it was the tired-ness of the work week prior or something else. I do know that I put on my Facebook on Saturday morning that I didn't feel like doing anything. That feeling lasted for awhile, but I finally got out and cleaned up some back yard dead stuff and did some trimming. That seemed to help a little, anyway. And today has been good.
The holiday season is fast upon us, and although I like this time of year, it's not necessarily my favorite time. I never was one to "yippee-yea" for the holidays (any holiday), and personally could take 'em or leave 'em. That attitude may have started with my earlier-in-life jobs where I had to work many of the holidays, and found I didn't mind doing that at all. Or it could be from my general personality that doesn't go too far either way emotionally, either happy or sad. Or it just could be that I am somewhat of a non-conformist and would rather be on the minority side most of the time. I dunno.
I'm not a party pooper. I'm just not a fanatic about the celebrations. Should we remember the birth of the Christ child? Absolutely. Should we remember that we've been bountifully blessed? Of course. Should we celebrate our nation's birthday, labor, veterans, and all the rest? Yes, yes, we should. Should families get together and spend the day (or days) visiting, bonding, and strengthening the ties? That's one of the bright spots in holiday celebrations.
Should we make the Christmas season a make-or-break time financially for the retail community? I don't think so. Should we overlook Thanksgiving by massing at the doors of retailers at 3am on black Friday? Ugh. Should we make Labor Day a three day holiday and put the "labor" part of the day in the background to eventually disappear all together? I don't think so.
And that, I think, is what makes me a little jaded about the holidays. They have morphed into something that resembles little of the innocence and joy of
holidays gone by. Oh, I know I can celebrate in my own way, and all of that. And I do. I shun Black Friday with a passion. My gift-buying takes up at most about 30 minutes of my year. And I really try to remember the original intent of the holiday, whether Labor Day, Veteran's Day, or whatever it may be.
So, however you celebrate the day, do so in a way that is true to your convictions. For we who celebrate the days a little differently, please honor our decision. And I am getting ready for family, friends, and pleasant and good times coming up shortly, and I promise I'll not be an Eeyore, but will willingly and happily join in. Deal?

1 comment:

Wayne said...

I share your feelings, Jay. Perhaps we have some common genes?