Sunday, March 06, 2011

Mish Mash

I think I saw a "first" today. Our guest speaker at church used an electronic gadget (I don't know what it was) to store and retrieve his lesson notes. Instead of shuffling cards or papers, he poked on the screen from time to time to bring up new pages. I wonder how much longer it will be until I have something like that for the lessons I teach.
Other things I've recently seen/heard/found out:
The downtown Topeka business district has many closed storefronts. I don't know if it was the recent recession or not, but Kansas Avenue between 5th Street and 10th Street has probably 20 or more storefronts that are empty. It makes the downtown area rather dreary compared to what it was a few years ago.
On a related note...the restaurant that was on 6th Street downtown also has closed. That's the place I talked about in one of my earlier blogs...http://hubblefan.blogspot.com/2006/06/downtowner.html That's kind of a sad thing. I had wanted to eat there yesterday while we were in town.
I did eat at the Hanover Pancake House on Kansas Avenue. It's been there for years. I ordered bacon and three eggs with pancakes. Oh, my goodness! Four large slices of bacon, three eggs cooked in butter over medium well, hashbrowns also fried in butter that were crispy just right, and two of the largest pancakes, yet so very good pancakes with warm syrup and more butter. It was every breakfast junkie's dream.
There is value in bookstores one can go into and touch the merchandise. Online is fine, but sometimes I need to peruse a book before buying. I'm glad the Christan bookstore in West Topeka is still open. Got a Joshua commentary there that I can use in my next adult class.
The Topeka library has restricted computer access to patrons with library cards. So much for being able to stop there and check email, etc. Non card-holders can still peruse periodicals, though, and they have IRS forms and booklets there yet.
I wonder how many toll roads and turnpikes have an exit called "cattle pens". The Kansas Turnpike does. And the exit is exactly what it says it is, in the middle of the Flint Hills. If you Google "cattle pens kansas" you'll find three or four short articles about that exit and the pronghorn antelope heard that is being re-introduced into that area. Makes a good short read.
The Supreme Court upheld freedom of speech this past week. You know the group, which hails from Topeka. For what it's worth, that decision was a foregone (and correct) decision. I don't like their speech any more than you do. But I want that freedom there, intact, when I have something to say that someone else doesn't like. If they are ignored long enough, they'll go away. Really.
A good friend and former co-worker passed away suddenly yesterday. Makes one aware that no one knows "the time".

1 comment:

Wayne said...

And you ate all of that breakfast? Wow. And not to be too picky, but shouldn't "heard" be "herd?"

WDK