Thursday, July 21, 2011

An Answer?

Let’s see. Three people plunge to their deaths over a waterfall at Yosemite National Park. They went into the river above the falls to have, we think, their pictures taken. There are warning signs and barriers to warn people not to go into the river. However, when one person slipped on a rock in the river and began to be pulled away, another in the river tried to get him and a third then tried to rescue the second. All three perished. Their bodies have yet to be recovered because the river is flowing too swiftly for the safety of rescuers.
I have yet to develop the ability to fathom such a scenario as the above; yet it happened in just the last day or so. And it happens regularly, all too often. And people die. And people’s lives are changed forever.
It just saddens me to hear about such things. And yet I know that I’ve done boneheaded things in my life. I’ve just not been caught as these people were, and paid for my deeds with my life. I cannot cast stones at these folks because I’ve been there, done that.
What makes people like this? Why do we think we can get away with things like this? What are we thinking? Or are we thinking? Someone have an answer?

No comments: