Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Full Volume

Today as I was running errands, I had the radio in the pickup on PBS (as usual). The piece that came on when I turned on the ignition one time was obviously the 1812 Overture by Tchaicovsky, formally known as The Year 1812, Festival Overture in E flat major, Op. 49. The overture does not celebrate the War of 1812; rather, it commemorates Russia defending Moscow against Napoleon’s advancing armies in 1812.
The music is familiar to most of us, even if we don’t know for sure what it is called or who wrote it. Some truly appreciate music like this; others tolerate it. It all depends upon one’s taste in the arts and music in particular.
When I heard what was playing on the radio, I immediately turned the volume up full. My speakers can handle that volume without distortion, and it isn’t loud enough to cause ear damage. However, one can more fully appreciate some of the more obscure runs and instrumentation that comes out more audibly when the total volume is high.
I know some who might ride with me might not appreciate the volume, but no one was with me today, except a fly that was clinging for dear life to a window. I truly enjoyed the performance, as I do many of the classics at that volume level, performed by those who are the ultimate professionals.
Thank you, PBS, for providing people like me with the music I like, and a variety that expands my horizons.

1 comment:

Wild Flower said...

I like PBS as well.