Friday, August 05, 2011

An Adventure

OK, I need to tell. We went to a reunion in Kentucky this week. I didn’t want to say anything on line, and didn’t have the means to get on line at the resort. I think I’ll do a little mulling over some things I saw and experienced in this adventure.
First, it is also hot in places other than Kansas. Western Kentucky actually has Kansas beat in terms of the “feels like” temperatures because the humidity is even higher there than it has been here. Temps were 100 or better and the humidity made the feels like temps close to 120 degrees. Humidity stayed high overnight, too. Windows in the cabins fogged over due to the humidity and temperature differentials.
There were no mosquitoes, however. Oh, once in a while we’d get one buzzing around, but for the most part, damp as it was and close to a lake as we were, it was really pleasant outdoors, except for the heat. I’m not sure why the bugs weren’t there, but it was really kind of weird.
Parts of Kentucky (and Illinois and Missouri) are pretty, to be sure, but places where the forest is thick don’t lend themselves to beauty, in my view. After all, if you’ve seen one tree, you’ve seen ‘em all, so to speak. I longed for the plains of Kansas where I could see more than just a few feet away from the asphalt of the roadway.
I did wonder how the explorers and settlers blazed through the thickness, swampiness, and steaminess of the land. No wonder they used the rivers to a great extent. There’s no way a person could go more than a mile or so in a day in that forest. And there were swamps that were so large I wondered it they might actually be lakes of some kind.
I don’t like to run down a place of business, but when one finds a salamander in the room where we were staying, the place automatically obtains the designation of “rustic” in my view. Additionally, we had burned out light bulbs, a pull-out bed that was broken down (we also found a pair of handcuffs in that pull-out bed…hmmm), and carpet that could definitely use a steam-cleaning. It certainly wasn’t worth the price we paid.
High temperatures and high humidity make for an interesting reunion. We couldn’t do much outside because of the heat and humidity, and there wasn’t much of a place for thirty five people to gather in the cool. We had to visit and catch up with one-another as we could during the time we had.
They trim the grass very short there. Seems like it’s cut no more than an inch or so high. I also don’t know what kind of grass or grasses grow there. It was different, to say the least.
Our old car made it just fine. It has about 200K on it, and with the work we had done on it, we were hoping it would work well, and it did. We need to get several more months (or a year or two) out of it before we do anything rash. Cheap insurance, cheap taxes, and not that much in maintenance. I like it.
Traveling with a family that has three pre-school kids makes for more stops and longer stops. ‘Nuff said.

2 comments:

Wild Flower said...

I'm glad the 'squitos left YOU alone... I've got about 3 bites on my face.

Anonymous said...

Handcuffs found in the bed........hmm.......this may be one trip you don't forget for awhile. Hopefully seeing family made up for the other stuff. Although after finding a salamander in my room.....I may have been out of there. It's different if you find one resting on a rock outside........but in my room. I think not!