Wednesday, September 07, 2011

The Adventure Continues...(It Never Ends)

Sometimes I wonder why I say “yes”. Let me explain. A few weeks ago, one of the church staff asked if I would be interested in starting a new life group for our church. Now, for those who don’t know, a life group is a small group. Our church has a small group ministry where groups of folks get together regularly, usually Sunday evenings. The agenda can be Bible study, a service project, food and fun, or whatever the group would decide to do. The group usually consists of eight to fifteen people.
Of course, I said yes. I’ve been part of a small group for several years, and we enjoy the time we spend with our groups. This group, however, will be a little different in that it will consist primarily of families with teens. The object will be to involve all members of the family in group activities and study. That is going to be the hard part, I think. And it’s just a little bit scary.
We’ve raised our family. Our boys haven’t been teens for over a decade. Things change. I’m not real certain just what this is going to look like or what we will be doing. We will have to have a lot of help from the rest of the members of the group, and I hope and trust that will come about.
On the one hand, I am somewhat nervous about this; on the other, it is an opportunity to be involved in an aspect of life I am no longer used to, and a chance to stretch a lot of things that have not seen much exercise lately. Being in a rut is comfortable, but tends to lead to isolation, stagnation, and inner rot, in my view. I’m not ready to rot (not just yet), and am looking forward to the possibility of this relationship with the small group to keep me energized and active.
Our first meeting will be this coming Sunday. We’ll have burgers and fixins. I plan to visit with the group to see what they might like for us to look like as we forge ahead with this. Hopefully we all will be able to put something together that glorifies our God and at the same time edify and encourage us.
The Adventure Continues!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In this case of saying "yes," there must have been a Higher Authority urging to respond with a 'yes." Since He prompted you to say "yes," He will be there to guide you the rest of the way. God be with you and guide you as you begin this new adventure. - Kathy