Wednesday, January 11, 2012

You probably don’t know Katie Davis. If you don’t, you need to find out about her. You can find her and what she does at http://www.amazima.org/katiesstory.html
Katie is a 23 year old woman who cares for orphaned and vulnerable children in Uganda. She has created an organization, staffed it, and actively works in Uganda with those she cares for. She has adopted thirteen children of her own. She tells this story about one of her girls, an 11 year old.

“I just want to remember,” she says matter-of-factly, and she pulls the covers right back up over her head.
It is well after our 8 o’clock bed time. I have been sunk deep in the couch and in the Word knowing that 13 pairs of feet were tucked snugly in 13 beds. But as I make my way from the couch to my room, something catches my eye and I peek my head in the girls’ bedroom.
There flat on the cold, hard tile floor is my 11 year old with her blanket pulled tightly around herself. It doesn’t look as if she has rolled out of bed; it looks intentional. I nudge her awake. “Honey, what are you doing on the floor?” Why would anyone ever choose to sleep on this, the hardest of surfaces, with a comfortable bed just inches away?
“Remember,” she mumbles sleepily, “I just want to remember. Some people don’t have a bed, mom. I didn’t have a bed, mom. God gave me a bed. And I wanted to remember what it was like to not have one.”


This young girl is wise beyond her years. She has much to teach those of us who have always had a bed; always had food; always had shoes; always had clean water.
I don’t know what it will take for you to remember those who have no bed; no food; no shelter; no shoes; no clean water. Maybe it will take you sleeping on the floor. Maybe you will have to spend a night under a bridge. Or maybe you can just remember and do your part without all of that. I don’t know.
What I do know is that we can’t do everything, but we can do something. I can’t do everything, but I can do something. What will I do? What will you do?

No comments: