Monday, December 09, 2013

No Other Way



Yesterday was the sixty-eighth year that the Wichita Choral Society presented “The Messiah,” a work by G. F. Handel.  I sang in that group this year and last year, along with my sister.  Prior to that, I hadn’t sung that oratorio since high school days.  Although there were a couple of rougher spots in the mixture, all in all it was a good afternoon and a wonderful time of considering the words that were in the individual numbers.
Handel used words directly from the King James Version of the Bible for his lyrics.  He changed them very little, preferring to write the music to fit the words rather than the other way around.  The work tells of the prophetic announcements of the coming of the Messiah, His appearing incarnate and his life.  It works through his passion and finally his resurrection and the end time.
Although we didn’t do all of the parts, the presentation still lasted about two hours with a short intermission.  One of these days, I think I’d like to hear the entire oratorio and participate in its presentation.  I’d probably have to beef up, so to speak, because I’m drained at the end of the shortened performance, to say nothing of having another hour or more added to it.
I’m not in any way, shape, or form a professional singer, or even a good one.  I can follow and read music, have a good ear, and can hold my own in a large group of like-ability folks.  I thoroughly enjoy doing this and hope I can continue for a number of years yet.
But even if for some reason this happens to be the last time I sing this or any song, I have lived a rich and full life with the woman I love and the family I have traveled through life with.  It has been a great ride, and although I’m looking forward to more of the same, should something happen that prevents more from happening, I know that as Handel wrote in his famous (and some may say inspired) work, the Lord God omnipotent reigns and sits on his throne.  And because of that I can say with the Apostle Peter, when he was asked by Jesus if he and the other apostles would leave Jesus along with the others, “Lord to whom shall we go?  You have the keys (words) to eternal life.”
There is no other.  There is no alternative.  There is no plan B.  There is no other way.

No comments: