Thursday, January 30, 2020

It's Not Your Table


Tom Shipp, a Methodist minister in the early 20th century, tells a story about his receiving communion that rings especially true today.  As a boy, Shipp had to live with what would now be called a foster family because of the untimely deaths of both his mother and grandmother.  In those days, these kinds of arrangements were considered to be more of a “hired hand” arrangement than someone joining the family.
The first family he lived with did not consider him part of the family.  They did not allow him to eat at the table with them; he had to eat by himself after they finished.  He also had to room in the barn rather than in the house.
Shipp tolerated this for a year, then asked to be moved to another family.  This new family considered him to be part of their family.  He ate with them, slept with them, and participated in family events as any family member would do.
The family attended a Methodist church.  Shipp tells the story from here.
“The first Sunday I attended church it was communion.  The ushers directed people to the communion table.  The family I was with insisted that I go with them.  As I knelt down to receive the elements, the man I had previously worked for knelt down beside me on my right, and the man for whom I was now working was at my left.
The communion elements were served.  And the man at my right for whom I had worked took my hand and held it just as I reached for the bread.  I can still feel the tension.  The man to my left was a German, and his face turned bright red.  I can still hear the words that he said as he leaned forward, the preacher still holding the elements, not moving.  He said to the man, ‘It’s not your table!’  There was a hush over the whole sanctuary.  ‘It’s not your table!  It’s not your table!’
Finally, before matters came to blows, the man released his grip and I was allowed to take communion for the first time.”
This is Jay again.  “It’s not your table.”  As we approach the communion table in whatever manner we do, we need to remember that the table is not ours…it’s the Lord’s.  It is he that desires to share with us.  It is he who calls us to his table.  Those he calls, we have no right to turn away.
Our church family may not consist of those we especially like.  Our family may have people in it who grate on us the wrong way, or hold a different political or social opinion, or are much wealthier or poorer than we are.  They may look different than we do.  They may be immigrants or the working poor or the homeless.  But we all come to the table of the Lord because he has called us there…to his table…and has invited us to take and eat; take and drink.
May we always be welcoming, hospitable, and gracious when dealing with our church family.  May we always seek the common good, do our part to keep the family healthy, and constantly recognize with respect and humility just who the head of the family is.

No comments: