Friday, January 31, 2020

The Christian Thing To Do


I've been thinking today (yes, dangerous, I know), especiall following a brief conversation I had to day with my barber. I gave her a $20 for a $15 cut and told her to keep the change. That started a conversation about money and what we think of when we think of money. I told her that I began thinking of money more as a tool to be used ever since I heard a missionary tell about how he used money to effect good evangelism.
I said that I thought that to acquire money just for the thrill of acquiring it was not where I was, and whether or not she gave me the $5 extra back in change or not was immaterial to me. That amount of money will not change my life one way or the other, whether I have it or not.
We then got into a conversation about tips at restaurants, for some reason. I told her that I've begun to tip wait staff at least 20% and will go as high as 30% or more for really good service. We agreed that most wait staff could use the money. Many probably are single parents, adults trying to support other people, students, or between jobs otherwise. Most probably have bills, not very good vehicles, and a host of personal issues they need to be working on and through.
As I thought more about the conversation I had with my barber today, I thought to myself the old truth, “I may not be able to do everything, but I can do something.” And that would apply to my dealings with wait staff in a restaurant. I can't fix their marriages or relationships. I can't pay their bills or catch them up on the rent. I can't buy them a newer vehicle or rid them of an abusive spouse. For the older ones who can't afford to retire, I can't magically provide them with a stash of mutual funds that they can retire on.
But I can do something. I can let them know they are appreciated. I can let them know that I care. And I can help them in a small way to maintain their dignity and sense of self-worth. These people, by and large, work hard for sometimes little pay. The least we can do is honor and recognize that in a tangible way.
After all, it's the Christian thing to do.

No comments: