Thursday, August 17, 2023

A Daily Day

 Good afternoon.  Welcome to Thursday Thought.

 Working in a downtown church such as RiverWalk has, as most vocations do, it’s ups and downs.  The work is interesting, at times demanding, and often makes necessary a sudden shift in priorities as the day unfolds.

As I entered the building this morning, I thought of things that needed to be done or checked on.  One of those things was the re-arranging of tables and chairs to accommodate the weekly Thursday morning Bible class that began at 10:30 today.  That class uses a room that is also used by several other groups during the week, and needs to be reset for the class.  Most of the people who attend the class are older, and many are no longer able to move the tables and chairs into place as needed, so staff tries to get that done for them.  I decided to check on that a little later, and went to open up the office.

As I entered my office, I noticed the notes and papers from last evening’s Missions committee meeting, which reminded me that I needed to do a couple of things regarding decisions made in committee.  I’m a member of the committee, and was here last evening for the meeting.  I determined to handle those items a bit later, and logged in to my laptop to check email.

There was nothing of great magnitude in the email.  However, I replied to a couple of them and cleaned up my inbox.  Linda, our office manager, came into the office about that time.  I was happy to see her as she is the first contact for phone calls and people at the door.  I knew I no longer had to watch those two items and could get some other work done.

As I was going to rearrange the chairs and tables for the Bible study, I ran into CJ, our youth minister.  He was coming from the classroom area where the Bible class meets, so I asked him about arranging the chairs.  He said he had already done that, so that was taken care of.  I went back to the office.

Shortly after I came back, I was told that the ice maker in the kitchen was not working.  We’ve had it serviced several times in the last few months, and I no longer am sure what to do with it.  I haven’t called the repairman yet, but will probably do so later.  There was enough ice in the machine for the lunch that was going to be served at noon today.

One of the people who comes to the Bible class on Thursday mornings came to my office and said the lights were too bright in the class room.  We had recently replaced the old fluorescent lighting with the new LED panel lighting, which is indeed brighter.  She said the lights were dimmable and wanted to know where the dimmer was.  We did not install dimming capabilities for those new fixtures, so I told her that they were what they were.  We had received no other complaints on the brightness of the new fixtures, so I am presuming that it was just her preference to not have them so bright.

I completed the tasks given me by the Missions committee by writing a check to send to someone we support in missions, and sending an email to another ministry we support asking for some information the committee wants.  That didn’t take long, but did take a little bookkeeping for the check.

By this time, the Bible class was ready to begin.  My wife and I had invited a friend who normally doesn’t attend our church to the Thursday morning Bible class a few weeks ago, and she came last week and promised to come again this week.  I went into the classroom to see if she was there yet.  She was, and I made it a point to greet her.

I took some time to visit with Linda about a couple of things that needed discussion.  I filed some paperwork on the fire sprinkler system inspection we recently had completed.  I checked email again and answered a couple more of them, made two appointments for this afternoon, and got some water to bring to my desk. 

Finally, an older gentleman came to the door and asked to speak to a pastor or assistant pastor.  Since I was the only one in the office, it came to me to visit with him.  He wanted to know if all Churches of Christ were the same, and what our general tenants were.  He didn’t ask those questions specifically, but that was the information he was desiring.  I visited with him and answered his questions as best I could off the cuff.  He was satisfied with the responses and asked about our worship services.  I told him about that, and he departed.

In between these things, I managed to check my email, take a quick tour of the building interior just to be sure things looked OK, answer my cell phone a couple of times, get some refreshment, and take care of some additional paperwork.  I also started on this Thursday Thought.  It is now after lunch and I haven’t yet had the time to open a book to read, to study for an upcoming class I’ll be teaching, or engage in deliberate prayer.  Hopefully, some of that will come this afternoon as I await a 3:30pm appointment.

I tell you all of this to say that this kind of a day isn’t at all unusual for me.  What may be a little unusual about the day is that I haven’t yet seen anyone who has a benevolence need.  There aren’t many days pass that don’t have at least one benevolence need that comes our way.  However, the day isn’t over yet.  I trust your day is a good one…one in which you walk with God, whatever your vocation…whatever your circumstance or situation in life.  Sandi Patty wrote a song some time ago called “The Stage is Bare,” which speaks of daily life and living when there are no crowds, no one to sing to or for.  Speaking to God in the song, one of the lyric lines reads, “Tomorrow's such a daily day; And I so need to feel you then Holding my hand.”

Most days are “daily days” for most of us.  May your daily days be filled with the presence and love of God.

 

Blessings,

No comments: