Saturday, May 03, 2008

Ringing, Ringing

Normally, it isn’t fun to be awake in the middle of the night. Even though it’s a normal occurrence for me anymore to be up a couple of times or more, I always hope I can fall asleep quickly. Otherwise I am apt to lay there for an hour or more, wondering when I will go back to slumber land.

I normally have a ringing in my ears that is there constantly. Sometimes it is worse than at other times, and most of the time I don’t think about it, but it’s always there. I think that it is exacerbated by external noise, because sometimes when I’m laying there awake, I notice that the ringing is very unobtrusive or isn’t even there to a detectable level.

I am always pleased when those times happen, because it gives a welcome respite to the constant droning of a high-pitched tone which otherwise inhabits my consciousness. I lay there and think about what it might be like to go through life with no more ear ringing and being able to hear even the slightest sounds. Then the practical side of me takes over and I know that when I get up in the morning, the ringing will gradually come back and be a constant companion throughout the day.

Sometimes, when the ringing is very quiet or not there, I also think about a time yet to come when I will be fully conscious, fully alive, yet there will be no ringing of my ears. There will also be no astigmatism in my eyes or sinus trouble. My occasional headaches will have vanished forever and I won’t have to wear the “Breathe Right” strips at night. I can’t really imagine what that will be like just now, but I’m really beginning to long for that to happen. “Even so, come quickly.”

3 comments:

Wild Flower said...

I am thankful that I, so far, do not experience that ear noise that you and Linda have. I have diabetes, but I don't think I would trade it for ear ringing-it would just drive me crazy. And, I too am looking forward to the day when Bruce doesn't have to wear "Breathe Right". To go along with his nasal strips, which don't seem to help him very much, I now have taken to wearing foam ear plugs. That's the only way I can sleep at night. So be it!

Anonymous said...

Actually, my ringing is only occasional, I think probably because of the diuretic (sp?)I take every day. Next time I'm in to see the doc, I'm gonna ask her if I can try going off of it for awhile, because I want to see if indeed it is helping the ringing. The relatively brief period of time that I had the mostly constant ringing was enough to drive me crazy. I can't imagine having it all the time.

Anonymous said...

And Brucie really should go see the doc about having a sleep study done. You'll both be better off for it. He won't believe how much better he feels is indeed he has sleep apnea or some other disorder that can be easily treated.