Saturday, May 31, 2008

Time for Ice Cream

This past six weeks to two months has been a virtual roller coaster of emotion and experience for me. You might have guessed that something was amiss because I haven’t blogged regularly in a couple of weeks, and I too wondered why I didn’t feel much like sitting down and putting pen to paper (to use a quaint phrase).

We finally were able to purchase a home for ourselves that, while more than we need, will be a good vehicle to jump start our retirement income (we believe). We’ve been less than diligent to work with our retirement in any kind of systematic way, and this might just be the thing to get us off of center and on with some prudent planning.

We also were able to move into that home, and out of my brother’s place. I am so appreciative of his and Deanna’s hospitality I can’t say it with words, but I’m sure they are as happy as we are that we were able to move to our own place. Their daughters surely are pleased as well, since they now each have a room for the summer and don’t have to crash on couches, the floor, or some other place in the house.

We’re both settling into our jobs, which seem to be morphing before our eyes. Nothing bad, but just changes. And there are the inevitable ups and downs that come with being a part of starting up a new business along with some inefficiencies that just need to be worked out and through. Being an impatient person, I am not good at going with the flow, but am learning.

Our family is growing as well. Our grandchildren keep on growing, and our children and in-laws change jobs, move, and do the other things that young couples do. It’s a challenge, sometimes, to keep up with them.

I continue to see our old home place every couple of weeks as I mow the yard there. I also continue to be torn as to what to do with it. Some days, I’d sell it for ten dollars if I could afford to do that. Other days, I want to fix it up and use it as a weekend home. A lot of memories are stirred each time I go there and I’m not sure what to do with them (and with it).

We are working through discipleship at church and the idea of being salt, light, and leaven in a broken and dying world. I’ve been through lessons like this before, but this time, something is sticking and I have been thinking…a lot…about that subject. I’m certain that some of this has to do with the aging process; some with mental and emotional maturity; some with what we’ve been through the last year or two, and some just because.

The wife and I continue to work with our relationship with each other. I continue to be puzzled at times by it, sometimes frustrated, and at other times, I’m grateful that we have the ability to have relationships such as this. I’m never, ever sorry. And I suppose that’s good.

Those are some of the things in a nutshell that have been passing through my brain cells recently. Now, I think it’s time to go get some ice cream out of the freezer.

No comments: