Saturday, August 01, 2009

Saturday Things

After a week at work that seemed to be one disaster after another, waking up today at 8:45am was almost heaven. I must have been really tired because a storm came through last night and I never heard it. Normally, I hear those things readily and wake up.
So this morning has been slow so far. I’ve made coffee, checked the rain gauge (just over an inch) and read the paper. On the agenda today is checking out a tire store for new tires for the car and let’s see…what else was there?
My sister and sister-in-law are spending their last few days on vacation before they start back with their respective school systems. One is a teacher; the other a psychologist. The teacher says she has been working to get ready for the fall for some time now, and even the psychologist has things to do over the summer break.
Although it seems that the summer break is a long time off for school employees, and although I joke with them about it from time to time, I know that when they are at work, they give 110% . in an environment and in a job that not many can do because very few have what it takes to do the job and do it right. The time off is well-earned.
It’s kind of like all of the complaints I’m hearing nowadays regarding President Obama’s frequent trips to here or there, sometimes with his family in tow. The man is the leader of the free world, for heaven’s sake. I don’t care what the person’s politics is…whatever “perks” one might receive do not adequately compensate for the stress, turmoil, responsibility, and constant living in a glass house that come with the presidency.
They earn Secret Service protection after they are no longer President. They earn generous stipends to maintain an office after leaving office. They earn the pension given to each of them. They earn the permanent respect and dignity that befalls such service.
I suppose it’s time to get up and do something, even if it’s wrong. I enjoy days like this and hope your Saturday is just as enjoyable.

No comments: