Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What am I Going to Do?

A month or so ago, I heard about an explosion and fire in downtown Anthony, Kansas. It happened in an alley and caught the adjoining buildings on fire. Being old, those business buildings went up in flames rather quickly, and required the help of several neighboring fire departments to control the flames. I had hoped that only one or two businesses were affected because Anthony is near where I grew up and has at least a semblance of a downtown business district yet.
A few days ago, I was visiting with someone at the place where I work. He was telling me that virtually the whole block went up. Only the businesses on either end of the block were saved. My heart sank because one of my favorite clothing stores went up in flames since it was in that block. I checked articles on line and received confirmation that Mueller Brothers clothing store did indeed cease to exist because of the fire.
Those businesses that were lost will not be rebuilt. There’s not enough money, even with insurance, to do that. The businesses, including Mueller Brothers, did not have enough value as a business to warrant a moving or rebuilding in any event. In a small community, when something like this happens, the economy of the time is that these places just disappear.
I recall visiting Mueller Brothers as a boy. There was a certain smell that men’s clothing stores had, and Mueller Brothers had that smell. I recall being fitted for a suit by one or more really old men (at least they looked old to me). We didn’t have a lot of money, and I didn’t get to have a new suit of clothes very often. More often than not, I got hand-me-downs from my older brothers.
Later, when we moved back to that area after I was married and had a family, I started going back there, purchasing suits, shoes, socks, shirts, and whatever else I needed. The service was good, the quality was great, and I truly enjoyed the experience.
I’m still wearing dress socks I bought there in 1994. They look as good today (no kidding) as they did then. I think I could wear them until I croak. I have several shirts, socks, three or four pair of shoes, and other haberdashery that I’ve bought there.
Just a couple of months ago, my sister and I made a day trip on a Saturday down to Anthony. One of our stops was at Mueller Brothers where I bought two pair of shoes and some shirts. That same men’s store smell from 50 years ago was there…ever present. The only thing missing was the old men. Now, there was a man, his wife, and grown daughter minding the store.
And now there is no one. I’m not certain where I’m going to buy my shoes. It’s kind of like where I’m going to buy my next vehicle. I just don’t like the mega-dealers in Sedgwick County, but back home I don’t know those dealers any more, or even if anyone sells cars down there. Maybe I’ll just get my shoes re-soled and re-heeled for the next 30 years or so. They are of good enough quality that I think I might just be able to do that.

No comments: