Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Can I Say I'm Impressed?

I don’t often think highly of people (or businesses) who make it their business to sell me something. I’ve thought for many years now that if I want something, I’ll go somewhere and buy it. Telling me I need this or that, whether through an ad or by the way a store is arranged just doesn’t do much for me.
So it has been with the new Dillon’s Marketplace stores that have been popping up here in the Wichita area. For those who may not know, Dillon’s is a subset of the Kroger company. They have food markets all over, and recently have begun to sell other things in their Marketplace stores. They now sell furniture and a wide variety of home needs.
I’m working in Derby for several days helping the new nursing facility there pass the inspections. Yesterday, I needed a three ring binder and some file folders. I was going to go to the Wal Mart down the street, but stopped at the Dillon’s Marketplace instead.
I must say I was impressed. Not only did I find my binder and folders, I also found a 25 foot tape measure, a digital thermometer, a three ring hole punch, and a couple of other items that I needed, but expected to have to go somewhere else to purchase. The store is bright and cheery, I could find people to help me find things (one walked with me all the way to the opposite side of the store to help me find a thermometer), and I didn’t see anyone in a sagging, torn, dirty tank top and shorts.
Now, I don’t always appreciate Dillon’s. The Dillon’s we normally shop at doesn’t have the smaller jars of instant coffee, and I also can’t find a few other things that I wish they’d have. The store is sometimes too big for what little I want to buy, and I have to park a half mile away when I get there. But this marketplace was just the right thing at just the right time in the right place for what I needed at the time.

No comments: