Saturday, September 19, 2009

Some Observations

Some Saturday observations after spending most of the day either traveling to and from Lawrence or attending the KU/Duke game.

Fifty thousand (give or take a few) people is a lot of people to all be crammed into the KU football stadium. It was obvious where the student section was; they were crammed in more than the other folks.
Some bathrooms still have the troughs in which to relieve oneself.
You can get decent food at a KU football game. You can’t get a decent place to park, however, that’s within a mile of the stadium unless you pay big-time for the privilege..
Home out on the back patio is s a world away from a major college football game.
How do football players possibly remember all the plays?
Why do car light bulbs burn out at what seems to be the most inopportune time? Is there an “opportune” time?
I know someone at work will call me wanting me to come in and do something when I’m hundreds of miles away (and I’m not on call).
The grass in the Flint Hills remained lush all summer. Cattle look better there than they have in awhile, I think.
Some kids still have fun outdoors doing the most simple things…swing, tree-climbing, etc.
I wonder if any other toll road has a “Cattle Pens” exit that literally goes to cattle pens out on the open range.
Why would anyone wear hot pink heels (3 inch or more) to a football game?
People leaving the bathroom still don’t wash their hands.
Lawrence, Kansas on game day is a zoo.
Most people will engage in at least brief pleasant interaction if you just try a little.
How did we ever get along before cell phones?
Why doesn’t TV show more of the field during televised football games? I think it’s fun to watch the defensive backfield move and develop as the play develops.
I missed my Raisin Bran this morning (had a bowl this evening).
Being with a beloved spouse all day, whether or not a lot of verbal communication is going on, is one of the most comforting and relaxing things on earth.
I wonder how many people at the game were, deep inside, terrified of their own mortality and what might happen to them when they died?

No comments: